Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Southwestern Chopped Salad



It's hot outside so I've been making salads.  After Caleb had this one the other day he said "That was the best salad I ever had.  Only make this salad for the rest of your life."  I responded "What if I make it Asian....".  He quickly said "No." I countered again with "But what if I..."  "No!" I tried again with a "Wha....." and got a "NO!!"  Caleb can be a brat sometimes..........  but I get it.  It's a delicious salad.  I put all the topping options in bowls so the kids could choose what they wanted to put on it and it was a total hit.


Southwestern Chopped Salad


Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, grilled and diced into 1 inch pieces
1 bell pepper, diced (any color - I like red but received some complaints I didn't use green)
1 14oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup sweet corn (fresh or frozen, if frozen make sure to leave time for it to defrost)
1 tomato, diced
1 package of romaine hearts (wash and chop into smallish pieces)
1 avocado, diced
Tortilla chips
Salsa
Spicy ranch dressing

Directions:

You can add all the ingredients together in a large bowl, or you can do like I did and let your family pick and choose what they want to add to their salad.  To make the dressing, Hidden Valley Ranch makes a Spicy Ranch mix that you can use, or you can also add about a tablespoon of taco seasoning to regular Ranch mix when you make your ranch dressing.




No comments: