Monday, August 11, 2008

Fake Chicken Fried Steak

I LOVE chicken fried steak, so I was so excited when I found a "fake" version!! I changed the recipe around enough so that this particular one is all mine now! It's easy and fast to make, but gives the illusion of the real thing! This amount is for my big family, smaller families may want to half it.

Ingredients:

2 lbs. ground beef
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 egg
2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup canola oil for frying

In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, parsley, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, egg and 1 cup of the breadcrumbs. Form into 12 balls, then flatten into patties. Coat patties with remaining crumbs and put on a plate. Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties for about 7 minutes per side, until golden brown. Enjoy your arteries hardening and resolve to only eat fruits and veggies tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

does it for real taste like chicken fried steak? interesting.

kathee said...

It is close enough, and I like it because when the meat is on sale it is a cheap dinner. Although I know about your adversion to ground beef. Maybe Tom could make it for dinner some night?