Friday, June 7, 2013

Copycat Jack in the Box Tacos


 
 
 
Are you thinking, "Oh no you didn't!"??  I'm here to say to you, "Oh, yes I did!!!"  I made fake Jack in the Box Tacos for dinner and they were fantastic.  In fact, I had to take this quick cell phone picture on a paper plate because they were being inhaled so fast!!  I don't know why I love Jack In the Box Tacos so much, but the fact that there aren't any to be had here in Northern Utah might add to their allure for me.  Caleb begged me to make these, and I can never say no to any of my children........ when they are asking for something that I really like.  If they want something gross then it's super easy to say no.  Anyway, you will NOT be sorry if you try these delights, I promise you!!
 
Copycat Jack in the Box Tacos
Recipe from here
 
Ingredients:

 1 lb. ground beef
1/3 cup refried beans
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 cup mild taco sauce
12 soft corn tortillas
3 cups cooking oil
6 slices American cheese (each cut in half)
1 head lettuce, chopped fine (I actually use cabbage because I like it better, and the kids don't like either on their tacos, thus the greenery free picture above)
 
Directions:

 Slowly brown the beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and stir the meat, keeping it very fine and smooth.   When the beef is brown drain the fat.   Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture creating a smooth texture.   Add the salt, Chili powder, and Taco Sauce to the mixture.   Remove from the heat.   In another skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot.   Test with a small piece of tortilla − it should bubble when dropped into the oil.
Spread 1/2 of the beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla.   Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together.   Drop each taco into the pan of hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy.   When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler.   Pry open slightly and add 1/2 slice American cheese and some lettuce.   Top with additional taco sauce to taste.
 


No comments: