Saturday, June 13, 2015

Laundry Detergent




I've been making laundry detergent for a couple of years now and I love it.  It lasts for a long time and works well with our family members who have sensitive skin.  There are a lot of recipes out there for it, this is the one I have been using.  (This last time I made it I substituted one of the bars of Fels Naptha with Zote, that is the pink grated soap in the last picture.  If it doesn't work as well as the Fels Naptha I will update).  Some people put scent crystals in theirs (you can buy them in the laundry aisle) but I feel like that adding those extra chemicals in it is defeating the whole purpose of making the detergent yourself (unless you are making it for economical reasons).  You could always add essential oils to it if you HAVE to have it smelling pretty!

Homemade Laundry Soap

Ingredients:

Borax, 4 lb. box
Fels Naptha soap, 2 bars
Arm & Hammer baking soda, 4 lb. box
Arm & Hammer Super Washing soda, 55 oz. box
Oxy Clean Free Stain Remover, (half of a 3 lb. container)


Directions:

Grate the soap with a hand grater.  If you want the soap smaller you can even pulse it in a food processor after grating, but it isn't necessary, as soon as water hits the soap it starts to dissolve.  Find a large container to mix all the ingredients in (like a bucket, I use a ginormous bowl).  I mix them together by adding about a quarter of each ingredient and then mixing them together, then adding the next quarter and mixing it together and so on.  Transfer it to a container with a lid to store it in.  Use 1 to 2 tbsp. per load depending on the size of your load.  Easy!!!




No comments: